Tuesday, August 29, 2017

ALBUMS THAT HAVE STAYED WITH ME.....FOREVER








ALBUMS THAT HAVE STAYED WITH ME.....FOREVER


From the day I first heard them to the day you're reading this...I promise they'll be with me...













So I see this Facebook status a while back......like a year ago when I left FB and never looked back:

"Rules: in your status update, list 10 albums (not in any order) that have stayed with you over the years in some way. Don't take too long on this list - just a few minutes, tops. These don't need to be "great" records, just records that have meant something to you personally. Then tag ten (or more!) other friends, including me so that I'll see your list. I chose people who I thought would go along. If I didn't choose you, and you're interested, by all means respond."
THIS IS THAT LIST!!!!







Also, I will put various album covers next to some of them because they are just amazing album covers or REALLY special to me and I have those framed at my house...or BOTH







EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW THE FOLLOWING ALBUMS REGARDLESS OF TASTE and BY COVERS ONLY......if you don't know these covers by now you never will and I feel sorry for you....


Before we get started this is a list of 25 albums that EVERYONE SHOULD OWN !!!!

(THESE ARE ONES I DO NOT NEED TO MENTION)

These are the albums you see in EVERY person's house regardless of music taste etc





























 DISCLAIMER:  
THIS IS MY LIST ALONG WITH THE HELP OF OTHERS WHO I CONSIDER KNOWLEDGEABLE IN THE WORLD OF MUSIC.  WITH THAT SAID, THESE ARE ALBUMS WHICH MANY OF YOU, IF NOT ALL OF YOU, KNOW OR ARE FAMILIAR WITH.  


PLEASE DO NOT TRY AND ACT ULTRA COOL BY SAYING:
"Reachin' (A New Refutation of Time and Space)" by Digable Planets OR "Flipped Out in Singapore" by Chainsaw Kittens are albums that moved you 
otherwise you look like an elitist jerk dick.





AND its ok to LIKE some of the more popular albums even if you were sipping Starbucks or hating the govt back in the day.





OK NOW!!!....lets go


IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER....only way I could


AC/DC - If You Want Blood, You've Got It (LIVE 1978)




First heard this entire album a few years ago and it is just incredible..  And to me Bon Scott is the 3rd best frontman after Freddie Mercury and David Lee Roth but that is a whole argument for another day.  This LIVE album catpures AC/DC in it's prime with Bon Scott.  Too bad he didn't live to see what he started with AC/DC.   LIVE versions of Whole Lotta Rosie, High Voltage and Let There Be Rock.

Other: Bad Boy Boogie, The Jack, Problem Child


Aerosmith - Greatest Hits (1980)
This is DRUGGED UP Aerosmith at its Pre-MTV gay times.
Driving around Metairie, LA in late 70s, early 80s in Billie Jo Dwyer"s Cadillac with my sister and cousin listening to such classics as Dream On and Walk This Way.  This and Heart's Greatest Hits were always on. 

Other: Kings and Queens, Come Together, Back in the Saddle



Alice In Chains - Dirt (1992) 
If you weren't around when Nirvana and Pearl Jam hit you didn't hear the Singles Soundtrack.  This was the album that had the song "Would?" on it and when it was released EVERYONE wanted a piece of Alice In Chains.
Other songs:  Rooster, Angry Chair, Down in a Hole






Allman Brothers Band - LIVE At Fillmore East (1971)




Beastie Boys - Licensed To Ill (1986) 
Seriously when this album came out I think everyone had to replace the cassette at least twice due to playing it so much. I can recite every one of these raps verbatim and STILL to this day think "Fight For Your Right" is weakest song on album.  Personal favorite is still "Hold it now, Hit it" because of the BASS.






Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath (1970)



I remember hearing it over the years but it wasn't until around 1995 I was sitting around (flying) and really LISTENED to it MAINLY "A Bit of Finger/Sleeping Village/Warning"  .....its groundbreaking, amazing, dark, hard and just one of the top 10 albums of all time....
Other:  N.I.B., Wicked World and The Wizard



Bob Marley - Exodus (1977)
This goes without saying that any album Bob Marley would be on this list.  I listed LEGEND above since every single person on the fucking planet has this album and considers themself a reggae expert due to having LEGEND in their possession.  THIS is the album where we first heard the song "Jamming" which is probably his most famous song.   The Reissue which I first heard in 2001 includes a 2nd disc of UNRELEASED LIVE material taken from the Exodus tour 1977 in London.
THIS IS PURE GENIUS.  I suggest if you don't have the two disc reissue you are missing out.

Other:  The Heathen, Exodus, Waiting In Vain


Boston - Boston (1976
)



FOREPLAY/LONG TIME......
 I was 7 the first time I heard this on album hour on WRNO and still to this day remember.....
This album will NEVER get old....
I don't think there is a song on here that isn't good....

"The album has been referred to as a landmark in 1970s rock and has been included on many lists of essential albums." Wikipedia


Clash - London Calling (1979)



The album cover says it all....the title track....the video where they all sing with cold weather breath....its the fucking CLASH.
...credit to my sister to making me listen to this over and over again ....still classic to me....
Its #8 of the top 500 albums of all time

....go figure.


Other:  Lost in the Supermarket, Clampdown, Spanish Bombs




Concrete Blonde - Bloodletting (1990)
Words cannot describe what this album does this to me.....its simply amazing from start to finish.  And it starts off with a vampire song about New Orleans.  
Also, Caroline is my all time favorite in so many ways....just perfect

Other: Tomorrow Wendy, Days & Days, Joey







The Connells - Boylan Heights (1987)







Brilliant album that tells a story of a man heading off to war and returning from war.  Absolutely brilliant and the minute I heard the first track, Scotty's Lament, I was hooked.





Cult - Love (1985)














Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward (1984)

















The ultimate Depeche Mode masterpiece.  From the opening track to the end.  Something to Do, Lie to Me, People Are People....THIS is and always be the best album they came out with.


Other: Master And Servant, Blasphemous Rumours, Somebody






Depeche Mode - 101 (LIVE) (1989)

Captured from Depeche Mode's show at the Rose Bowl in front of 60,000 rabid fans this album is one of the best LIVE albums from start to finish.  It also carried me through basic training the ARMY so it has a special place in my life.




Doors - Greatest (1980)
















Drivin N Cryin - Mystery Road (1989)



If you attended LSU between the years of 1989 and 1993 you could not avoid this band or this album.  So this album was key when it came out and everyone had it....Aint It Strange, Toy Never Played With, Peacemaker and House For Sale.  And everyones favorite, not mine, Straight to Hell.


Foo Fighters - Wasting Light (2011)


A collage of green, blue and pink face pictures of the Foo Fighters members against a black background. Above it is the title "FOO FIGHTERS - WASTING LIGHT" in red letters.









Heart -Greatest Hits (1980)
Heart: Heart Greatest Hits: Live Cover Art

Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast (1982)



The most iconic album cover from the 80s and one of the most iconic metal albums of all time.  I still remember being "spooked" seeing the album in stores and when I heard it at a friend's house it blew my head off.  That is all.  Watch this excerpt from the show Classic Albums....judge for yourself...






The Jam - SNAP! (1983) 


Released a year after they broke up my sister used to play this collection of Greatest Hits every day and I fell in love. They are simply amazing.  The Jam, the band that didnt really fit into the punk rock standards, The Jam didn't want to be placed there. They did it their own way... and so brilliant good!! 
Other: Town Called Malice, In The City, Going Underground



KISS - ALIVE (1975)












Metallica - ...And Justice For All (1988)










Mötley Crüe - Shout at the Devil (1983)
Driving to the bowling alley every Friday night at the age of 14 I had no idea who the Crue were but this cassette was on every night in my friends Mustang and it still resonates today.







N.W.A - Staight Outta Compton (1988)




Pantera - Cowboys from Hell (1990)



Phish - Junta (1989)
Really my first introduction to Phish and simply amazing.  
Best heard LIVE.  Divided Sky is still the song I go back when I want to truly appreciate the power of music.

Other: David Bowie, Fluffhead, You Enjoy Myself










Pixies - Doolittle (1989)










Police - Regatta De BLanc



Now THIS is where the list changes as this has my ALL TIME favorite song ever in the history of everything.  That would be Message In A Bottle.  The reason I consider this my all time favorite is the fact it never gets old and its just as good every time I hear it.  With that said, I still remember hearing this on vinyl at my dads and every song is perfect.


Other: Bring on the Night, Regatta De Blanc, Walking On The Moon, On Any Other Day
I spent an entire Police concert in 1982 watching Stewart Copeland drum....PHENOMENAL see bleow


Police - Zenyatta Mondatta


Prince - Purple Rain Soundtrack (1984)

It's 1984.  Freshman in high school....it was our anthem.  It was everywhere.  
Let's Go Crazy, When Doves Cry, I Would Die 4 U....Darling Nikki.  
EVERY SONG A CLASSIC...
I also saw him at the Superdome with Sheila E opening.  Threw up my guts on Dome Foam...so that.

Other: Computer Blue, Baby I'm A Star



Queen - News Of The World (1977)


The album cover is what got me and the music followed.  
THAT IS ALL!! 
Freddie Mercury is a genius.

We Will Rock You, We Are The Champions


Other: Sheer Heart Attack, It's Late






R.E.M. - Chronic Town (1982)


It's only 5 songs but this is the first time I heard R.E.M. and was immediately hooked.  
They are still one of my top 5 bands today.  WAY ahead of their time.
From the opening of Wolves, Lower to Stumble it flows and its perfect.
Other: Gardening At night, Carnival Of Sorts

R.E.M. - Document (1987)


R.E.M. - Life's Rich Pageant (1986) 











Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine (1992)




"Anger is a gift"
What can I say about this album that hasn't been said before?  It is just one big punch in the face from beginning to end.  This kind of sound was never heard before and was just off the charts.  I was hooked.  I needed to see them LIVE and to this day one of the 10 best concerts I have ever seen.  And Know Your Enemy has Maynard from TOOL so extra bonus.  


Other:  Bombtrack, Freedom





Replacements - Pleased to Meet Me (1987)


RUSH - 2112 (1976)

RUSH - Moving Pictures (1980)




THIS album is what got me into RUSH.....
and it came out in like 7th grade so it was the only thing we listened to.  It was EPIC.
From the opening of Tom Sawyer to last notes of Vital Signs, a complete masterpiece.  
It's the album with the YYZ crazy drum, guitar and bass solo song for God's sake.
Seeing them play it LIVE in it's entirety start to finish in 2011 was a dream fulfilled.
Still get chills hearing the opening notes of Red Barchetta.

Other:  Camera Eye, YYZ, Limelight

Scorpions - Blackout


 


SINGLES (Soundtrack) (1992)





When MTV first played Pearl Jam Unplugged I first heard State Of Love and Trust and immediately was in search of this album.  Come to find out it was on a Soundtrack to a movie.  Well after hearing all of the Seattle bands including Heart, Soundgarden and Alice In Chains I was hooked.


Other: Battle of Evermore, Nearly Lost You.



__________________________________________________________


ATTENTION!!!!    DUE TO TIME CONSTRAINTS I AM NOT ABLE TO ADD STORIES TO SOME OF THE LAST FEW ALBUMS BUT KNOW THE PLACE THEY HOLD IN MY LIFE....
___________________________________________________________

Smashing Pumpkins - Gish (1991)
Smiths - The Queen Is Dead (1986)


Squeeze - Singles – 45's and Under (1982)

Thanks sis and this basically ruled most of my high school days in Uptown New Orleans


Stevie Ray Vaughan - LIVE ALIVE (1986)

Sting - Dream of the Blue Turtles (1985)


Sting - Bring On The Night (LIVE)(1986)





Toad The Wet Sprocket - Fear (1991)


Tool - Undertow (1993)



Tool - Ã†nima (1996)



Because of the significance of this album I felt the need to post in its entirety.  This album changed my life in so many ways.  It signifies a huge turning point in my personal life.  You have to listen from start to finish to fully appreciate this stroke of genius that is TOOL.  



Tool - Lateralus (2001)
Tool - 10,000 Days (2006)



T.S.O.L. - Revenge (1986)

We listened to this album almost every day on the way to school during my senior year of high school  It was a mainstay in my Jeep and very underrated by a very underrated band.


U2- Under a Blood Red Sky


Who didn't like this album?  This was U2 captured at the perfect time.  This was pre-Joshua Tree so it was right before they went from big to super huge.  And it's U2.
Considered U2's "Greatest Concert" and to me it is.  





Van Halen - II (1979)


My 2nd favorite Van Halen album (See below) because its the first album that I listened to all of the time and it consumed me.  I was 10 years old and I guess the perfect age in a perfect time in music.  I still remember to this day letting "Outta Love Again" and flipping the vinyl over to listen to second side and one of my all time favorite VH songs in "Light Up The Sky".  Also, I used to go L to R on balance to hear just the bass or just the guitar.  VH albums were good for that.
AGAIN entire album attached.

Van Halen - Fair Warning (1981)


My ALL TIME favorite VH album and my Top 5 all time in music.

MEAN STREETS....So now I am 12 and Van Halen rules my life.  This album came out and quickly shoved VH II in the back as its EPIC and it's Roth but also the harmonies between EVH and Anthony are unmatched.  Since again we are talking about vinyl the first side was 4 songs that were tough but that was only the beginning.  Second side starts with UNCHAINED and that's all I will say about that.....


I would post entire album but I figured I would post Roth being ROTH.  

And the stage & tour were EPIC but who was better than VH in 1980? no one

and yes I get chills still watching this....


Widespread Panic - Space Wrangler (1988)


Working at the LSU Daily Reveille I was able to get access to albums before they were available to the public so I did a review for this album by this band called Widespread Panic and the band name led me to believe they were a heavy rock band....
....was I surprised and needless to say THIS was simply amazing.  DRIVING SONG is still my all time favorite song and millions of fans can't be wrong.


Widespread Panic - Everyday (1993)
Zebra - Zebra (1983)




HONORABLE MENTIONS!!!!...and by Honorable I probably heard them while under the influence so they sounded much better but STILL they resonate today with me.




311 - Music (1993)












Better than Ezra - Surprise (1990) (CASSETTE ONLY)









Blues Traveler - Blues Traveler (1990)


Dr. Dre' - The Chronic (1992)





Eric B and Rakim - Follow The Leader (1988)









Kevn Kinney - MacDougal Blues (1990)




Outkast - Stankonia (2000)


Public Enemy - Apocalypse 91...The Enemy Strikes Black (1991)



Red Hot Chili Peppers -Californication (1999)














Run DMC - Raising Hell (1986)












Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream (1993)




Stevie Ray Vaughan - The Sky Is Crying (1991)











CHEERS!!! 


ROCK ALWAYS AND FOREVER


THAT IS ALL FOR NOW!!!!!



NOW atch Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart cover Stairway To Heaven on the Led Zeppelin tribute show.  

ITS FUCKING AMAZING!!!!!!









 






















LSU 12-0 We're takin' over this town

It's the weekend and time for 12-0 LSU Tigers.....let me say that again.....The 12-0 LSU TIGERS to travel to Atlanta to take ...